Saturday 20 September 2014

Uncovering Their Own Learning

With an after-hours Math workshop and our annual Open House this week, I find that I am completely physically exhausted ... and have succumbed to the germs that surround me.  I have to specify that it is only my body that is slowing down because, although I am a tad warn (and more than a tad warM), my mind is swirling more than ever.  Uncovering the learning of the wonders in my charge and sharing in their discoveries (and their overwhelming excitement) seems to be all that I need to keep diving in too!
This week saw several short-lived provocations, from a "massive" sunflower (that was "bigger than the teacha's head") and "full of yucky, sticky (and now stinky) milk" to ribbons of different lengths and weights wafting in the wind.  Just when I thought that I may never be able to encourage my students to follow-through on an inquiry, a five-year-old proved me wrong ... again. :)
On Thursday evening, we welcomed our families into Wondergarten and showed them how we spend our days.  It was amazing to hear my kidlets refer to their 'play and activities' using the terms "patterns", "measuring", "proving", and "convincing"!  I will likely never forget the look on a 9-year-old brother's face when his little sister explained to him that "A t-Rex is obviously a carnivore because it really wouldn't need sharp claws to make a salad,". Huh.  "Amelia, how do you know that this dinosaur eats meat?  What does this dinosaur over here have that this one doesn't?"  Wow.  Five years old and already wiser than many.
If you know of neigh-sayers that might have difficulty understanding where the education is in the new FDK program, I seem to have a room full of shining stars that can explain it to them!  I am both amazed and blessed every day. #comcon #wondergarten

Sue Scott, teacher and learner

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to give the opportunity to explore and wonder. They come with so much background knowledge. They are always making connections, sharing and exploring. By giving them the chance in class they share and others learn from them too, Wonderful work of ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the other day, we talked about how important it is to always put our best foot forward. They were surprised to discover that, even though (and perhaps because) they are some of the youngest students in the school, others are look at and learning from them. We started acknowledging when someone taught us something and it really opened a lot of eyes.

    ReplyDelete