Wednesday 3 September 2014

A Beautiful Blur

Suffice to say that twelve years of training in the field does not a Kindergarten teacher make!  With the learning curve of twenty-four 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds and two significantly older "students" vaulting straight up, today opened and closed with a swoosh and I ended the day too exhausted to type.  Our first day flew by in a blink and our crew became just that, very quickly.  Not only are Kinders competent and capable, they are some of the most caring creatures alive!  From one sweetheart comforting a newly separated child to a group sharing toys and stories, they made me pause more times than I can count.  Collaboration and cooperation were central themes all day.  What an amazing group of kidlets.  Time to introduce the peace pebble jar!
Here's to another great go ... and perhaps a few more hours of sleep!
#wondergarten @wondergarten #comcon

Sue Scott, teacher and learner

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,

    Congratulation s on your first day in Kinderland! It'll certainly take a bit for us all to get into new routines - students and teachers alike!

    I look forward to hearing about your Peace Pebble Jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Peace Pebble Jar is, quite simply, a jar that helps us take notice of and keep track of some of the thoughtful things that we do for others (while encouraging more of the same). When an educator sees a student doing something kind for someone else, he or she prompts a student to place a pebble in the jar. Once the jar is full, we take the opportunity to celebrate our kindness on a bit of a grander scale (a reward of sorts). In past years, many of my classes have chosen to "pay forward their paying it forward", by giving their reward to someone more in need. When my first Grade 1 class was trying to decide on an appropriate reward, one of the students asked if we could buy another hen and some chicks for a family in need (through World Vision). Parents of one of my kidlets decided to sponsor a child in a developing country and share their connection with us. He is the same age as their son and their vision was that each year, Max's classmates would become penpals with the little boy. "Meeting" Janoos and learning a bit about his life really exposed my students to a greater need for greater good. Since 2005, I have shared this story with my students the first time each group gets close to filling the jar and they are inspired to continue to make a difference. Young students + small gestures = great change! @wondergarten

      Delete
  2. I used to supply teach in this one kindergarten classroom a lot. I would come home on those days feeling exhausted. I especially had this overwhelming sense of not wanting to speak. I felt like I had not stopped talking all day!
    Congratulations on what sounds like a great first day for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, this seems like an amazing start to your year. Kindergarten is super busy but such fun. I hope you are enjoying it and I'm looking forward to hearing more!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I love your Peace Pebble Jar in the classroom. What a fabulous way to help students focus on being thoughtful and celebrating that! Your small (pun on pebble?) idea impacted another person in another part of the world. Wow! Your ripples from your class could be felt globally! If there was a like button I would have clicked it several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be sure to pass your sentiments on to my kidlets. We are all about ripples!

      Delete